Community Youth Outreach Workers – Job Posting
JOB POSTING – OPTIONS for Schools
Community Youth Outreach Workers
Contract Position / P/T, Flexible Hours
Program Description: One-on-one community outreach/alternate school support – Students are referred from elementary, secondary and alternate schools for social/emotional support in the community. This program is for students ages 10-16 who have been identified as needing additional support in the community. This program is to promote positive connection and re-engagement to the school district and community. OPTIONS’ staff are assigned to students identified by school district personnel as needing additional community support. The community workers engage the students in recreational activities designed to foster positive connections and relationships. Student directed goals are developed and worked on in the context of this relationship.
The Community Youth Outreach Workers responsibilities are to:
- interact with the youth in a manner that develops rapport, provides counseling opportunities, models appropriate behavior and provide general support.
- assist youth and family to access necessary community resources and general support as needed
- liaison with OPTIONS and other community agencies to provide support for youth
- assist youth in improving social, problem solving and academic skills.
- assist youth in learning skills that help them with self management and decision making
- act as a liaison with social workers, police officers, group home staff, parents, probation officers
- network and connect youth with leisure opportunities and community support
An undergraduate degree in a related field. Consideration will be given to other related education and experience. Class 4 license or ability to obtain within a reasonable time period. First aid and Food Safe certification or the ability to obtain within a reasonable time period.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent ability to engage and motivate challenging youth.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Excellent conflict resolution and mediation skills.
- Excellent understanding of social/emotional curriculum.
Applications to: Louise Thomson
OPTIONS: Services to Communities
#100 – 6846 King George Hwy.
Surrey, B.C. V3W 4Z9
October 1, 2007
NOTE: Applicants not selected for interview will not necessarily be notified. OPTIONS is an equal opportunity employer.